ideal server

From: "Brian Modra" <epailty(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ideal server
Date: 2008-10-17 21:19:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I have a server in production running postgresql, receiving 110 rows
inserted per second, with some pretty intense queries involving long
plpgsql.
This server has 4Gigs of RAM and dual processor. Disk is Raid 5.
I need more power, and am wondering what is the place really I need to put
more emphasis? CPU, RAM, or disk?
I'm thinking of a 4xCPU and 20 Gigs and one of those large ram disks which
has its own battery and writes all RAM to hard disk in the event of power
failure.

Obviously I need to first get a good sysadmin guy to configure postgres
properly, but I am sure I also need a bigger host.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Brian

--
Brian Modra Land line: +27 23 5411 462