Deleting old WAL-files

From: Gustav Karlsson <Gustav(dot)Karlsson(at)BEKK(dot)no>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Deleting old WAL-files
Date: 2015-05-19 11:43:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I am looking for a good method of determining what WAL-segments can be deleted from our backup-archive.

We are using Postgresql 9.3 and do nightly basebackups along with archiving of WAL-segments.

We would like to prevent our backup-archive from growing forever, and thus delete basebackups and WAL-segments older than say 1 year.

Is there a good way of finding the oldest WAL-segment needed for a given basebackup? (If not, what is the typical method for deleting old WAL-segments?)

(We are aware that Barman is offering this functionality, and might migrate to using it, but would still like to know the method used)

Regards,
Gustav Karlsson