Travis and AppVeyor continuous integration [Re: feature/master/ci]

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Travis and AppVeyor continuous integration [Re: feature/master/ci]
Date: 2020-08-27 20:25:04
Lists: pljava-dev

On 08/27/20 15:32, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> I have opened a PR to merge the CI.

Thanks!

> Should I add instructions to launch a
> manual build to ssh into the different build environments for the purpose
> of debugging in the PR description as well ?

If you're up for it, yes, that would be good information to have in one place.

For Thomas, if you're watching:

The description for pull request #289 [1] includes details on
administrative setup with Travis and AppVeyor in order for the
CI setup in the pull request to become operational.

Would you like to do that part? Can/should I do that part?

Earlier, you mentioned a possible preference for GitHub Actions.
The current proposed configuration uses Travis for testing x86_64
Ubuntu and Mac OS, and AppVeyor for x86_64 Windows (building with
MSVC and with MinGW-w64).

I see that Travis has added some level of Windows support, so that
it might be possible at some future time to migrate the Windows tests
there and consolidate, and I see GitHub Actions also claiming support
for all three platforms.

The two files .travis.yml [2] and appveyor.yml [3] are recognizably
small mutations of each other, suggesting what is probably the modest
effort of migrating either one or both to another service that comes
to be preferred, or even just to compare.

I would propose to register with Travis and AppVeyor for now, and
merge #289 as-is, maintaining the option to migrate to another
service if desired in the future.

Regards,
-Chap

[1] https://github.com/tada/pljava/pull/289