Re: the ScriptingMojo

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the ScriptingMojo
Date: 2020-08-27 00:42:11
Lists: pljava-dev

On 08/26/20 12:55, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> I have made some progress on the plugin. The Mac OS X configuration is
> working and passing the CI.

This is going to be good. I noticed that a couple of recent spurious
failures in Travis on my branch were because something went wrong
with travis_install_openssl.sh ... in one case, port install openssl
just hung and the job timed out; in another it said "Port openssl not
found".

What's going to be good is I don't even think that should be necessary
at all. The postgresql build being used came from homebrew, not macports,
and the log shows the homebrew package for openssl was installed at the same
time as a dependency. But homebrew's openssl package is "keg-only", which
means the files don't appear in the usual places; you have to specify
their package-specific locations.

That's probably why there seemed to be a problem early on and installing
(another) openssl package from macports seemed to solve it.

But I see that running pg_config of the homebrew-built PostgreSQL
already shows:

CPPFLAGS = ... -I/usr/local/opt/openssl(at)1(dot)1/include ...
LDFLAGS = -L/usr/local/opt/openssl(at)1(dot)1/lib ...

so as soon as our build is actually using the options from pg_config,
the build should succeed using the expected homebrew openssl package,
and the whole travis_install_openssl.sh script can just go away.

It's nice to see immediate benefits of the work....

Regards,
-Chap