Re: ScriptingMojo Custom Packaging

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ScriptingMojo Custom Packaging
Date: 2020-08-21 03:28:01
Lists: pljava-dev

On 08/20/20 13:00, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> I have made these changes
> https://github.com/amCap1712/pljava/commit/14045b10ca1428fc2914440a2220871ac7c9921b
> but the build process fails with this error
> https://gist.github.com/amCap1712/ad9fe94fd9fb6f4ff4f26913a464c226. I
> checked the jar files manually to make sure the file is present in it. The
> pgxs jar is also listed in the lists of url classpaths.

Hmm ... for me it does not even get that far:

[ERROR] Unknown packaging: pgxs @
org.postgresql:pljava-so:[unknown-version],
/var/tmp/nohome/pljava/pljava-so/pom.xml, line 14, column 13

It seems to be an issue similar to what we had with the profiles before,
referring to a plugin that had not yet been built. Perhaps in your case
it got further because the plugin had been built in an earlier step?

This might make the custom-packaging idea unworkable without a multi-step
build, which I would really rather avoid. Maybe the packaging type
for pljava-so should just be changed from nar to whichever of the
predefined packaging types will impose the fewest extraneous expectations.
Maybe that's pom. It only binds two phases and doesn't assume there is
anything to produce besides the pom file, which is already there.
We'll produce the .so or .dll or .bundle also, but Maven doesn't need
to care.

The custom type seemed more satisfying to me, but not if it ties things
in knots.

Regards,
-Chap