Re: PL/Java new build plugin

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Java new build plugin
Date: 2020-07-14 23:02:10
Lists: pljava-dev

On 07/14/20 13:40, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> I just checked Appveyor CI builds for Windows (even those which work
> properly) are failing. You can view the logs at
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/amCap1712/pljava/builds/34092481 . Also,
> you can push new commits to your branch and the CI will automatically start
> a new against them. The link to the new build will be available on the PR
> page.

Thanks! Looks like I have fixed that with a42c416. Turned out to be
Windows line endings, and it means I gave you bad advice with regard to
getPgConfigProperty [1] after all. Even though pg_config explicitly writes
a single \n character on every platform, Windows (probably the C library
really) still changes it to \r\n before it arrives on the pipe. So just
removing one character won't always work. It has to be line.separator
(that, or an explicit test for Windows). Sorry for leading you astray.

Now the only appveyor "errors" I'm seeing seem to be a result of appveyor
thinking anything written to stderr is a problem. So running the installer
jar to install the files produces a wall of red every time, because it
prints the installed file names to stderr. And then on Java 9 there is
still one JNI reference warning, but that's being treated as a failure.

The first of those problems can surely be fixed with a 2>&1 on the
command running the installer jar (or whatever the equivalent Windows
syntax is for "merge your stderr into stdout").

The second looks a little trickier, as you're probably checking for
warning output from install_jar(...examples...), which really does
indicate trouble, but the WARNING: JNI local refs: does not.

I don't understand what the PG=9 configuration even is. The PG version
numbering change happened in 10, so "9" could mean any of seven different
major versions, and I can't even see from the log which of those the
run is trying to use. I think that could be the reason it's failing too,
because it's trying to run "\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9\bin\pg_ctl" and
there is no such thing with just "9" as the version.

Regards,
-Chap

[1]
https://github.com/amCap1712/pljava/blob/fc2bd50/pljava-pgxs/src/main/java/org/postgresql/pljava/pgxs/PGXSUtils.java#L110