Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)
Date: 2020-06-24 01:50:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/23/20 21:44, Andres Freund wrote:

> I think that's way harder than what you make it sound here. The locking
> for shm_mq doesn't really work inside a process. In contrast to the
> single threaded case something like a volatile write to
> ParallelMessagePending doesn't guarantee much, because there's no
> guaranteed memory ordering between threads. And more.

It occurred to me after I sent the message this morning that my suggestion
(2) could subsume (1). And requires nothing more than a single volatile
write of a boolean, and getting called back at a convenient time on the
single main thread.

So perhaps I shouldn't have suggested (1) at all - just muddies the waters.

Regards,
-Chap