Re: Issues with mingw build

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>, pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with mingw build
Date: 2020-06-23 20:56:39
Lists: pljava-dev

On 06/23/20 16:39, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> The mingw build is working but it spins off its new console which makes it
> impossible to detect errors and retrieve logs. It even stalls the build. I
> have been trying to figure a way to get past this but have been unable to
> do so till now. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this ?

I have never experienced a Mingw-w64 build personally, so I don't have
much insight into the details. I understand that it involves starting
a shell/console within which the environment is set up for doing the build.

I've always assumed that isn't necessary for running the built artifacts.
Can the Mingw-w64-built PostgreSQL server be run as an ordinary executable?
If it can, then the test run after building should work in the usual way.

I assume that when inside the msys2 shell, the filesystem you see is still
the same filesystem, so redirecting output or error output of the commands
into a file ought to work, and the file could be read outside of msys2.

According to a MinGW mailing list thread [1], it looks possible to
redirect output and error output, either using the familiar > and 2>
or by using a 'redir' command in msys (which mustn't be confused with
a standard Microsoft "network redirector" command of the same name).

I also gather from that thread that there's an "echo %ERRORLEVEL%" to
show the exit status of a command, so that could be used after the mvn
command to get an indication of whether Maven thought it had succeeded.

If these are things you've already tried and there were issues, some more
details of what seems to go wrong where might help.

Regards,
-Chap

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/mailman/message/16209368/