Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-06-19 16:16:55
Lists: pljava-dev

On 06/19/20 11:54, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> On windows, do we want to have all combinations of Java and PostgreSQL with
> both mingw and MSVC?

As an ultimate goal, I think that's desirable.

If it comes to a matter of managing time, I could see starting with
a few points in the space (say, Java 9 because it's intended to be the
earliest supported in 1.6, Java 11 because it's LTS, the latest Java
that currently works, to catch regressions), with intermediate points
filled in later.

It is good to test all targeted PG versions, at least for MSVC, because
there have been recurring issues with different PG globals lacking the
PGDLLIMPORT declaration in different versions.

That may be less important with Mingw-w64 which (I think) does not rely
on the PGDLLIMPORT declarations.

Regards,
-Chap