Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-06-01 03:23:54
Lists: pljava-dev

On 05/31/20 12:00, Chapman Flack wrote:
>> - Messages from the JVM itself that are emitted through a 'vfprintf hook'
>> are caught by PL/Java's hook [1] and injected into PostgreSQL's
>> elog system at a selectable level, usually INFO. (That is probably
>> the path being followed by the -Xcheck:jni messages, explaining
>> why they have INFO: in front.)

Exploiting that fact, I decided to just condense out those messages (only
the ones coming from Java's own JMX classes, outside our power to fix)
right at the source, by putting a small state machine in the vfprintf hook
to recognize and not log them. That's in PR #276.

Also in that PR, changes to fix the remaining -Xcheck:jni messages that
were really coming from PL/Java. For the moment, in my environment,
with PR #275 and #276 applied, it builds and tests -Xcheck:jni clean.

That should eliminate any need for doing fancy stuff with those messages
in the CI configuration. Any new issues that crop up in development later
ought to produce a smaller volume of messages that we want to know about.

Regards,
-Chap