Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>, pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-05-18 14:19:48
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi, I'm adding pljava-dev in the recipients.

On 05/18/20 09:19, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> way of determining the name of the jar files created by mvn clean install.
> I understand that the jar files are named as pljava-pgX.Y-arch-os-link.jar
> . I am currently find command to determine the complete name. Is this

To determine for sure what the name is going to be would force you
to duplicate the logic that sets ${suffix} in pljava-packaging/build.xml,
which is rather gruesome, to be honest (and I think I wrote it!).

On the other hand, if running mvn clean install, the 'clean' should ensure
that no other pljava-pgX.Y-arch-os-link.jar from any earlier run is present,
so the only file in that directory matching pljava-pg*.jar should be the
right one. (Note that the /directory/ it's created in is always the same,
so that isn't part of the puzzle.)

Even using 'find' therefore seems needlessly heavyweight; the wildcarded
name should do fine.

You could do that for the examples jar also, or capture the output when
running the installer jar, as it prints the full pathnames where it is
installing the files. The wildcard in the build directory is probably
simpler; no need for a CI script to be any fancier than what works.

Regards,
-Chap

p.s. Different open-source projects tend to have different
mailing-list cultures.

When replying to a list message, your mail client should offer options
like 'Reply' (only to the person who sent a message), 'Reply List' (only
to the list), and 'Reply All' (goes to all of the individually named
participants *and* to the list). No need to be shy about sending questions
to the list; you're doing development, and that's what a -dev list is for.

On mailing lists in the PostgreSQL project, the tradition is 'Reply All',
so your reply will go directly to whatever individuals are directly
engaging with you in that thread *and also* to the list for archiving.
(That tends to mean the people directly participating get two copies,
but that's the tradition in the PostgreSQL community.)

More on PostgreSQL's mailing list culture is here:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists

This tradition also prefers to: (1) trim the message being replied to
so it includes only the portions getting replies, and (2) write
each reply after the trimmed original bit being replied to.

It is not considered necessary, in this tradition, to have the entire
is always available to anyone who wants to see the past context.

For example, this email thread can be reviewed at
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5EC17E17.7070002%40anastigmatix.net

and all history of pljava-dev at
https://www.postgresql.org/list/pljava-dev/

-c