Query Deparsing Support

From: Jason Petersen <jason(at)citusdata(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Query Deparsing Support
Date: 2015-05-14 20:02:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The DDL deparse support that just landed looks impressive, but I’ve needed query deparsing for some time now. Within pg_shard <https://github.com/citusdata/pg_shard> we took the fast-and-dirty approach of merging in a modified ruleutils.c, though I’d (obviously) like to get away from that.

Many of ruleutils.c’s functions already have a public interface; would there be any objection to exposing get_query_def to provide a way to turn a Query back into an SQL string?

A more structured approach analogous to the new DDL stuff would make my life easier, but simply having the Query-to-SQL function would be a huge improvement for now.

I trawled through the archives but couldn’t find any discussion of why this function was kept static.

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data