Re: 110,000,000 rows

From: John Gage <jsmgage(at)numericable(dot)fr>
To: PostgreSQL - General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 110,000,000 rows
Date: 2010-06-01 20:41:47
Lists: pgsql-general

I was aware that there are, in fact, many applications such as census
data or cell phone calls that would easily surpass this number.
However these applications exist in very large companies/organizations
that can throw essentially unlimited resources at the problem. One
thinks of the NSA's computers, for example.

What I was surprised to learn is the extremely common occurence of
table sizes like this even in databases run by single individuals for
individual needs.

Putting aside the cognitive challenge posed by data like this, what
made me glad to have asked the question were the solutions provided in
the responses.

John