Physical replication slots and xlog space exhaust

From: Alex Balashov <abalashov(at)evaristesys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Physical replication slots and xlog space exhaust
Date: 2019-04-26 18:28:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have a recurring human error problem where, upon doing a base copy to a new slave, we accidentally leave the master’s physical replication slots in place, forgetting to drop them from the slave config.

After a while, transaction logs pile up on the slave — since no slaves are consuming them — and blow it out. This then causes the slave to stop downloading transaction logs from the master, causing them to accumulate due to its own replication slots.

I understand the ultimate solution to this is to mind one’s replication slots and monitor disk usage fastidiously, but is there a config parameter for the maximum overall amount of transaction logs that can be kept accumulated on the master, irrespectively of physical replication slots commitments?

Thanks!

Sent from mobile, with due apologies for brevity and errors.