PG container technologies which one ?

From: ghiureai <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG container technologies which one ?
Date: 2017-06-27 16:29:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi List,

I am not familiar with container technologies , we are thinking about
choosing one of them : either LXC or Docker for some of our new PG
database ( the expected database size avg 130-150GB, mostly OLAP
transactions with data ingestion running on regular interval, the Pg
mem size will match the db size ) , the dev team is pushing for
container db instead of physical db, I am not convince will bring us
significant advantages, from my own brief research I see there are
more examples and support technical documentation about docker and Pg
than lxc ,
Also some of people in our team mentioned :
-with Pg + docker container you do not have the option to log direct in
container, monitor performance of database ( like running pgcenter) and
-can not have a crontab installed inside container to run some
basic database maintenance jobs ?
Are this assumption valid ?

Was mentioned that : Lxc is more close to a VM and a DBA has more
flexibility to perform the regular tasks.

Please , I am looking for your feedback and comments from your own
experience running Pg in container.

Thank you ,
Isabella