Postgres vs. Redhat DB

From: "Hunter, Ray" <rhunter(at)enterasys(dot)com>
To: "'Postres-sql' (pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org)" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres vs. Redhat DB
Date: 2002-01-07 17:14:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a couple of questions regarding postgres and what it can handle.

Situation:
I am looking a implementing postgres as my main backend for a internal corp.
website. I will have huge amounts of data (up in the gig). I would like to
have 2 database servers. One will be the master and one the slave. I will
also have two web servers and a development server that will be used for
development and moving all data to the other servers. I am planning to
implement vrrp on the web server; either by router on daemon.

Questions:
1. Does postgres handle data grouping similar to Oracles blobs and/or clobs?
2. Does postgres support replication or some type of master/slave relation?
If yes, where can I find docs on implementation.
3. What is the difference between PostgreSQL and RedHat's version?

Thank You,

RAY HUNTER
Automated Test Group
Firmware Engineer