Re: Oracle DB Worm Code Published

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle DB Worm Code Published
Date: 2006-01-07 20:25:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
>> A recent article about an Oracle worm:
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1880648,00.asp
>> got me wondering.

> PostgreSQL doesn't allow network access, by default, which more than
> makes up for that.

You would have to both alter postgresql.conf (to make the postmaster
listen for anything except local connections) and alter pg_hba.conf
to let people in. Of course, if you were fool enough to set pg_hba.conf
to allow "trust" connections from the whole net, you'd have a door open
even wider than Oracle's. But I hope that's not common.

A worm can't be successful unless there's a fairly large population of
vulnerable machines. I am sure that there are *some* PG installations
out there that are wide open, but I doubt there are enough to make a
worm viable.