Re: Transaction IDs not the same in same transaction?

From: Steve V <dndlists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction IDs not the same in same transaction?
Date: 2005-10-24 04:52:00
Lists: pgsql-general

> It's defined in the backend executable, as is GetCurrentTransactionId().
> A similar wrapper function to the one shown here:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-06/msg00709.php
>
> should work. But I agree with the other folks in this thread who have
> questioned whether this is a good idea: backend APIs are known to change
> significantly between releases, and making assumptions about how they
> behave seems like asking for trouble to me.

I agree with all of you as well that using backend APIs is not the
most continually reliable way of doing this. Unfortunately the
requirement stands that I need to audit all actions that occur in a
single transaction, as one group.

Christian's method seems like it should work properly. Does anyone see
any problems with doing it in the fashion mentioned by him?