Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 with pgcrypto on FreeBSD 5.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Alex Rodin <alx(at)sm(dot)ukrtel(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 with pgcrypto on FreeBSD 5.1
Date: 2003-08-04 01:12:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org> writes:
> My bet is Pg is smashing OpenSSL's stack when
> passing more than 2 chars as a salt.

I looked at the code a little bit and that doesn't seem to be the case.

On my machine the core dump seems to be because EVP_DigestUpdate is
called with a EVP_MD_CTX that's all zeroes. So I think the previous
theory about not having tracked an API change is on target after all.

Personally, I'm punting this problem in Marko's direction --- I won't
take responsibility for fixing contrib code that isn't even compiled
by default.