Re: huge table occupation after updates

From: "t(dot)dalpozzo(at)gmail(dot)com" <t(dot)dalpozzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: huge table occupation after updates
Date: 2016-12-12 09:07:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Il 12/12/2016 02:42, David G. Johnston ha scritto:

> On Saturday, December 10, 2016, Tom DalPozzo <t(dot)dalpozzo(at)gmail(dot)com
> <mailto:t(dot)dalpozzo(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>

> ​I have one direct DB client (let's name it MIDAPP) only. This
> client of the DB is a server for up to 10000 final clients.
> Any time MIDAPP is going to reply to a client, it must save a
> "status record with some data" related to that client and only
> after that, answering /committing the final client.
> The next time the same final client will ask something, the
> same status record will be updated again (with a different
> content).
>

> Why do you want to pay for concurrency control when you don't seem
> to need it? While PostgreSQL likely can do what you need I
> suspect there are applications out there that can solve this
> specific problem better. Even something as simple as a flat file,
> one per "final client", written atomically and fsynced after each
> write/rename.
>
> David J,

Hi David,
there are also other DB clients which only perform read queries using
SQL. It's the reason why I chose postgreSQL over simpler apps. I didn't
mention about them so far as those queries are not a concern in terms of
performance.

Anyway, regarding the huge dimension of the table, I think that reason
was that autovacuum didn't work as the updates traffic was really high
in my test, with no pause. Infact, if I lower it down to
1500updates/sec, then autovacuum works (I checked the log).
So the table size can grow but not for ever as it gets reused.
Thank you very much.

Pupillo