Re: Difference between "autovacuum_naptime" and "autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay"?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Difference between "autovacuum_naptime" and "autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay"?
Date: 2018-08-17 04:00:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/16/2018 06:10 PM, Raghavendra Rao J S V wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have gone through several documents but I am still have confusion
> related to "autovacuum_naptime" and "autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay".
> Could you clarify me with an example.
>
> When Auto vacuum worker process will start?

Autovacuum checks for relations that need to be vacuumed/analyzed every
"naptime"

> When Auto vacuum worker process will stop?

When it is done with the list of relations that needed work that were
found at the launch of "naptime"

> Does Auto vacuum worker process will sleep like Auto vacuum launcher
> process ?

The launcher process sleeps for naptime, then wakes up to check what
needs to be worked on

> What is the difference between Auto vacuum launcher process and Auto
> vacuum worker process?

The launcher is the process that spawns the worker processes (I think).

JD

> --
> Regards,
> Raghavendra Rao J S V

*** A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is. ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****