"vacuum" and "cluster"

From: "Jimmy Choi" <yhjchoi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "vacuum" and "cluster"
Date: 2008-04-16 15:09:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Does running "cluster" remove the need to run "vacuum"?

I get a feeling that since cluster is already physically reordering
the rows, it may as well remove the dead rows... no?

My second question is, if vacuum is still needed, does it matter
whether I run vacuum first or cluster first?

Here's our current weekly db maintenance routine:

1. vacuum full
2. cluster
3. reindex
4. analyze