Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Date: 2016-05-13 16:49:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/13/2016 09:40 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 09:35:40AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
>>>
>>> Uh, we are already doing that. EDB and NTT are working on FDWs and
>>> sharding, PostgresPro and someone else is working on a transaction
>>> manager, and EDB and 2nd Quadrant worked on parallelism.
>>>
>>> What is the problem you are trying to solve?
>>
>> Hey, if I am wrong that's awesome. The impression I have is the general
>> workflow is this:
>>
>> * Company(1) discusses feature with community
>> * Company(1) works on patch/feature for a period of time
>> * Company(1) delivers patch to community
>> * Standard operation continues (patch review, discussion, etc..)
>
> Yes, there are some cases of that. I assume it is due to efficiency and
> the belief that others aren't interested in helping. In a way is a
> company working on something alone different from a person working on a
> patch alone?

No but I also think we should discourage that when reasonable as well.
Obviously some patches just don't need more than one person but when we
are talking about anything that is taking X time (month or more?) then
we should actively encourage collaboration.

That is all I am really talking about here. A more assertive
collaboration for the betterment of the community. When I think about
the size of the brain trust we have as a whole, I imagine the great
things we could do even better. It isn't magical or overnight but a long
term goal.

Sincerely,

JD

--