Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

From: Pierre Chevalier Géologue <pierrechevaliergeol(at)free(dot)fr>
To: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
Cc: Szymon Lipiński <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, dandl <david(at)andl(dot)org>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date: 2016-05-04 14:55:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Le 04/05/2016 15:25, John McKown a écrit :
> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj
> <mailto:pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>>wrote:
>
> ​<snip>
>
> The sensible way is to do it as John wrote - to restrict access rights
> to everyone except admin to calling functions only. That way the
> functions are written by the people who are paid to understand the
> business rules and the data behind it, and the application developers
> can ask those experts to do the heavy lifting for them. Having to
> persuade management that they should no longer be able to connect the
> database to MS Access and make changes that way will usually put an
> end to that pure model, though. :)
>

> ​Allowing PHBs direct access t​o company data is a nasty thing.

Sorry, what is a PHB? Our friend google didn't help me much on this matter.

> They become like some users who "know Excel". They are now just as
> knowledgeable as someone who's been doing this for years. I've actually
> heard one say something akin to: "Damn it, I can write Excel formulas. I
> know very well that an new function on the web site could be written in
> less than a day, if you'd just get off you a$$ and do it."

Hm. Sounds familiar...
I usually call "excelitis" a sort of mental disease related to a use and
abuse of Excel, up to the point where one cannot imagine data which is
*not* in a table-like array. And they think that they do Relational
Database Management... In the 1990's, I met many-many deeply sick
persons. I had been infected for a while, I must confess.

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
Mesté Duran
32100 Condom
Tél+fax : 09 75 27 45 62
06 37 80 33 64
Émail : pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
icq# : 10432285
jabber: pierre(dot)chevalier1967(at)jabber(dot)fr
http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue