Re: Are there only 4 weights in PostgreSQL fulltext search?

From: Gaini Rajeshwar <raja(dot)rajeshwar2006(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Are there only 4 weights in PostgreSQL fulltext search?
Date: 2009-10-13 05:35:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Gaini Rajeshwar wrote:
>
>> From the readings and documentation, i understood that there are 4 weights
>> A,B,C,D (1.0, 0.4, 0.2, 0.1 are the defalut values, which can be changed) to
>> rank the search results.
>> But using just these 4 weights is too less to rank the search results, as
>> i have many fields to use for ranking.
>>

> You are correct that there are only four weights. Each weight, however,
> can be assigned to any number of fields; you are not limited to just four
> fields (if I understand your comment correctly).

Yes that is true. we can assign each weight to any number of fields. But, my
requirement is something like this.
I have more than 4 fields, say *title*, *abstract*, *summary*, *body*, *
background.* I want to give weights to these 5 fields such a way that
*weight(summary) > **weight(abstract) > **weight(title) > **weight(body) > *
*weight(background)*
is this possible to achieve with these 4 weights?