Re: Cannot create role, no default superuser role exists

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Robert McAlpine <rem(at)pfcta(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot create role, no default superuser role exists
Date: 2016-03-11 15:32:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On 03/10/2016 05:07 PM, Robert McAlpine wrote:
> Thank you for the quick reply.
>
> I very recently had some success by doing a complete purge of
> postgresql-9.5, reinstalling and then copying in the original data
> directory (or I guess I could have just pointed to it, but w/e). I did
> not expect this to work, as I thought it would just point to the table
> holding the roles

Just to be clear Postgres-xc != Postgres. Postgres-xc is a fork of the
community Postgres. So in the below it is important to be clear when you
are talking about Postgres vs Postgres-xc.

To sort this out is going to require a step by step:

1) When did you do the apt-get install postgresql-9.5

2) When and how did install postgres-xc?

3) Do you have more then one Postgres/xc data directory. I ask because I
suspect in step 2 that it may have been installed somewhere other then
the community Postgres data directory.

4) What does ps ax|grep post give you?