Re: Looking for pure C function APIs for server extension: language handler and SPI

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for pure C function APIs for server extension: language handler and SPI
Date: 2016-03-02 02:30:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/29/2016 3:55 PM, david(at)andl(dot)org wrote:

> What I need (to find or create) is a ‘pure’ C language API to support
> a Postgres server extension. By ‘pure’ I mean one that has no
> knowledge of Postgres internals and that could be called by a generic
> interface provided by some other tool that can support C language APIs.
>
> The reason is that I’m looking to integrate a new language (*Andl*)
> into Postgres. To do that I need to find or create a ‘pure’ C-language
> API to interface with:
>
> 1.The generic language call interface (pl_language_handler), which
> must handle conversion of Incoming language call parameters and
> outgoing language call return value.
>
> 1.The backend query execution interface (SPI), which must handle
> conversion of outgoing query parameters and incoming query result values.

by "server extension" do you mean, you want to use Andi as a "PL/Andi"
so you can write stored procedures i Andi callable within SQL queries?

or do you mean, you want your Andi programs to be able to execute normal
postgresql queries as a regular client ?

for the first, see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/plhandler.html

for the latter, see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/libpq.html