Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files

From: Alexander Law <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files
Date: 2016-01-17 15:34:15
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-novice

Hello,
I think, that SVG should be preferred format too, as it (beside other
forementioned advantages):
1) Supported by DocBook
(http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/svg-svg.html) and you can just embed
an image in the docbook.xml
(http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/publishers/5.1b3/en/html/_any.svg.html)
2) xml-based so it can be translated to other languages with using
well-known tools (xml2po/gettext)

I've tried to embed a sample SVG image into postgres.xml and generate
PDF with xsltproc/fop and I've got the image in the PDF.
So we don't need to introduce some complex processes to support
graphics, it's already supported by docbook.
I think we should move documentation to the XML format and then we could
use SVG for free.

Best regards,
Alexander