Re: Backend protocol wanted features

From: Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8Kdata(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Wooten <kdubb(at)me(dot)com>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backend protocol wanted features
Date: 2016-01-05 14:23:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 04/01/16 18:26, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 2 January 2016 at 15:55, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8kdata(dot)com
> <mailto:aht(at)8kdata(dot)com>> wrote:
>

> On 29/12/15 20:22, Kevin Wooten wrote:
>
> Add “schema change notifications”.
>

> This is an interesting idea.
>
> I wonder, however, if a protocol message is the place for it.
> I think it belongs to logical decoding (and yes, I know there is
> no current support for DDL in logical decoding, but there should
> be). So I wouldn't add this specifically to the febe protocol.
>
> On another topic, I'd look into considering some of the ideas
> of the "protocol" designed by the pglogical_output plugin
> (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMsr+YGc6AYKjsCj0Zfz=X4Aczonq1SfQx9C=hUYUN4j2pKwHA@mail.gmail.com)
> for possible inclusion as first-class constructs in a new version
> of the protocol.
>
> Álvaro
>

> Putting this into logical decoding doesn't really help us as that
> would require the driver to connect to the logical decoding stream as
> well.
>
> While I understand it is required for LD. The driver needs it for a
> different reason.

I agree. Somehow :)

I mean: I understand the driver needs this information. 100% agreed
there. But adding new protocol messages that "duplicate" the
functionality that should belong (IMHO) only to LD, doesn't make sense.
Sure, it is a poor fit a LD client for a JDBC driver. But I still think
it's the way to go. That was the main starting point for us thinking
about Phoebe, you know :)

So rather than asking everybody to add new messages to the protocol
to support this, wouldn't it be better to support LD in the driver?

Cheers,

Álvaro

--
Álvaro Hernández Tortosa