Re: [Pljava-dev] annotation keyword changes before 1.5.0 (?)

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] annotation keyword changes before 1.5.0 (?)
Date: 2015-12-21 02:49:50
Lists: pljava-dev

On 12/20/15 20:11, Peter Henderson wrote:
> volatility=Volatile
> volatility=Stable
> volatility=Immutable
>
> Make sense to me. Plus relate to the same terms used by a PL/pgSQL function.

Hi Peter,

I may have overlooked something; is there any context in PL/pgSQL where
you in fact say volatility=Volatile (or volatility=Stable, etc.)?

Or are you just referring to the standard CREATE FUNCTION syntax, where
you simply say VOLATILE, or STABLE, or IMMUTABLE?

I'm absolutely not proposing to change the names volatile, stable, and
immutable ... everybody knows those.

It just seems to me that the Java annotation syntax is adding a somewhat
unusual need to put somekeyword= in front of those three well-known names.
You don't ever have to do that in the SQL syntax, it's just a new slight
awkwardness imposed in the Java syntax, and my proposal is only about
what the somekeyword should be. It's effectively a non-optional noise
word, and to keep it unobtrusive I'd like it to be a short one. (I'm
sure that's the reason Thomas chose 'type' originally; it's nice and
short, and only unfortunate because it would be natural to use that
word to talk about the function's data type.)

Because nobody's changing the value names, even if the keyword were
Fahrvergnügen, you would still see Fahrvergnügen=IMMUTABLE or
Fahrvergnügen=VOLATILE and you'd immediately recognize what it was.

But 'effects' is even shorter than 'Fahrvergnügen', and almost as short
as 'type', without giving you the feeling of repeating yourself, as
volatility=VOLATILE would.

I flat-out refuse to make it Fahrvergnügen even if that gets the most votes.

-Chap