Restore rather than rebuild index ?

From: A J <s5aly(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restore rather than rebuild index ?
Date: 2010-10-06 20:31:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

During restore of a database (from a full backup), the general practice is to
rebuild the indexes. I think with pg_dump and pg_restore (or psql restore), the
only option is to rebuild the indexes. Am I right or is it possible to backup
indexes as well and restore them ?
Just exploring, to figure if time to rebuild a fully functional database (with
indexes) can be lower one way or the other.

Thank you,
AJ