Re: [SOLVED] Postgre Fails To Start in Multi-User Mode

To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Postgre Fails To Start in Multi-User Mode
Date: 2015-12-14 01:52:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On 14/12/2015 11:39 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/13/2015 4:22 PM, Peter Brady wrote:
>> Again there appears to be nothing logged to indicate why the server
>> is not starting at this point.
>
> the standard versions of postgres for RHEL/CentOS leave two sets of
> logs... 1 is the startup log /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/pgstartup.log, and the
> other is the regular PG logging, in /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data/pg_log/* ...
>
> I'd run the /normal/ pg startup script as their may be site specific
> environments configured by the original administrator...
>
> # service postgresql-9.2 start
>
> and then look at the startup log first. if it ends with...
>
> 2015-07-21 00:33:31.851 PDT @[]: LOG: redirecting log output to
> logging collector process
> 2015-07-21 00:33:31.851 PDT @[]: HINT: Future log output will appear
> in directory "pg_log"
>
> then look in the data/pg_log directory for a new file dated today.
Hi John,

Thanks for the heads up on that second log. I was focusing on:

/var/lib/pgsql/9.2/pgstartup.log

as that's what I found in the init.d script. It however was empty.

The key was in the second log in:

/var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data/pg_log/*

which pointed to a typo in pg_hba for host ip specification. Clearly
the typo had not been through a restart yet and when I restarted the
machine it hit the bug. That was then a simple fix as the IP address
was missing its CDIR mask.

Cheers,
-pete