Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue
Date: 2015-11-23 18:54:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/23/2015 2:41 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> If it's totally wrong, how should I be looking to approach the problem?

depending on where these queue entries are coming from, I'd considering
using a message queueing system like AMS, MQseries, etc, rather than
trying to use a relational database table as a queue. your external data
source(s) would write messages to this queue, and you'd have
'subscriber' processes that listen to the queue and process the
messages, inserting persistent data into the database as needed.