Re: Adding skip scan (including MDAM style range skip scan) to nbtree

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Masahiro(dot)Ikeda(at)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Masao(dot)Fujii(at)nttdata(dot)com
Subject: Re: Adding skip scan (including MDAM style range skip scan) to nbtree
Date: 2024-09-20 14:42:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/20/24 16:21, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2024 at 9:45 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me> wrote:
>> 3) restart cluster, drop caches
>>
>> 4) run the query from the SQL script
>>
>> I suspect you don't do (3). I didn't mention this explicitly, my message
>> only said "with uncached data", so maybe that's the problem?
>
> You're right that I didn't do step 3 here. I'm generally in the habit
> of using fully cached data when testing this kind of work.
>
> The only explanation I can think of is that (at least on your
> hardware) OS readahead helps the master branch more than skipping
> helps the patch. That's surprising, but I guess it's possible here
> because skip scan only needs to access about every third page. And
> because this particular index was generated by CREATE INDEX, and so
> happens to have a strong correlation between key space order and
> physical block order. And probably because this is an index-only scan.

Good idea. Yes, it does seem to be due to readahead - if I disable that,
the query takes ~320ms on master and ~280ms with the patch.

>> I wasn't suggesting it's a sympathetic case for skipscan. My point is
>> that it perfectly matches the costing assumptions, i.e. columns are
>> independent etc. But if it's not sympathetic, maybe the cost shouldn't
>> be 1/5 of cost from master?
>
> The costing is pretty accurate if we assume cached data, though --
> which is what the planner will actually assume. In any case, is that
> really the only problem you see here? That the costing might be
> inaccurate because it fails to account for some underlying effect,
> such as the influence of OS readhead?
>
> Let's assume for a moment that the regression is indeed due to
> readahead effects, and that we deem it to be unacceptable. What can be
> done about it? I have a really hard time thinking of a fix, since by
> most conventional measures skip scan is indeed much faster here.

It does seem to be due to readahead, and the costing not accounting for
these effects. And I don't think it's unacceptable - I don't think we
consider readahead elsewhere, and it certainly is not something I'd
expect this patch to fix. So I think it's fine.

Ultimately, I think this should be "fixed" by explicitly prefetching
pages. My index prefetching patch won't really help, because AFAIK this
is about index pages. And I don't know how feasible it is.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra