Re: Recommendations for migrating PG 9.3 RDS across regions

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Recommendations for migrating PG 9.3 RDS across regions
Date: 2015-10-19 09:20:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/17/15 5:24 PM, Joshua Ma wrote:
> Is one of Londiste, Slony, or Bucardo obviously better than the others
> for this task? At first glance Bucardo seems the most straightforward,
> but that may just be due to the docs being easier to glance through.
> (I've also never used any postgres replication outside of the native
> replication, so it's possible that some of these tools aren't applicable...)

londiste and I believe Slony require a superuser connection in order to
manipulate some settings. Actually, Slony requires shell level access
because its logging trigger is in C, so unless the extension is already
available I don't see Slony working. I know that you get an account
similar to superuser on RDS, so it's possible that it'd work.

That said, can't you use binary replication to an EC2 instance in west-2
and then cascade that replication to an EC2 instance in East? AFAIK
that's supported. I think you can replicate into RDS as well.