Re: recent Gartner's publication

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: recent Gartner's publication
Date: 2015-10-16 17:05:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 10/16/2015 08:24 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
> If I remember correctly from years past when I paid any attention
> whatsoever to Gartner, they primarily (only?) analyze companies/products
> that spend money with *them*, and lots of it. If we wanted to get
> PostgreSQL on their radar, it would be very expensive to do so
> unless/until they drastically change the way they pick the dots to place
> on their quad charts. And it is sad, but true, that lots of large
> enterprises put so much stock into what is essentially nothing more than
> a marketing channel (hence the preponderance of large companies and
> those with VC funding).

Yes, absolutely.

Several years ago I had us appearing in the Forrester reports, because
I'd helped out a Forrester staff member and he owed me. So PostgreSQL
appeared in their industry reports for a few years. Then their staff
changed, and, because we weren't a paying customer, they used the
information I had supplied specifically to find fault with PostgreSQL
after taking a big cash contract from Ingres (for example, we were
portrayed as "insecure" because we disclose our security vulns.)

This is not a game that we, as a non-profit open source project, can play.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.