[Pljava-dev] PL/Java version number, and a module name

From: chap at anastigmatix(dot)net (Chapman Flack)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] PL/Java version number, and a module name
Date: 2015-09-12 17:31:16
Lists: pljava-dev

On 09/10/15 22:17, Bear Giles wrote:
> What are the criteria to move from SNAPSHOT to release?

Excellent question ... TBH, it doesn't feel imminent to me yet.
It's been 0.0.2-SNAPSHOT for 2 1/2 years now, it could at least
be ${plausible.version}-SNAPSHOT for a bit longer while we get
things sorted.

Rough incomplete list of things, at least some of which ought to
get sorted before a release:

- there actually have been ~ 100 commits since 1.4.3, some of them
fairly significant (mavenized, sql generation works, etc.).
A change summary with the highlights from those commits would be
worth having.

- some triage of the open issues and at least some of them fixed
(including perhaps Peter Brewer's recent one on the mailing list)

- confirm successful build for $platform, $jvm, $pgversion for several
combinations

- work out artifact deployment to a well-known maven repo?

- polishing build process and build docs. It still comes across rather
like "run mvn install. yay! now, um, faff around with several vague
next steps." I think part of that can be address by changes to the build
/docs/ and part by changes to the build /process/ ... I'm planning to
put some work into both.

It would probably be good to have a page on the docs site with a list
of things we think should or should not be done for the next release,
and then push it in different directions until it seems tolerable.
It's not there yet; I may as well create one while working on updating
docs.

-Chap