[Pljava-dev] Pl/Java package in Ubuntu

From: p(dot)brewer at ltrr(dot)arizona(dot)edu (Peter Brewer)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Pl/Java package in Ubuntu
Date: 2015-09-08 19:02:44
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi all,

I'm one of those leeches that uses PL/Java but doesn't have the
expertise to contribute directly. So first of all, thanks for the great
work!

I'm the lead developer for a scientific server/client database
application (www.tellervo.org) that uses PL/Java. The server portion is
distributed as an Ubuntu package and used by a number of labs around the
world. The average user of my product is therefore a scientist rather
than hard core techie. As such I need to give them a package that can
be easily installed and configured without them getting their hands dirty.

My last release was aimed at Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and worked fine as
Postgres 9.1 and compatible pljava packages were available in the main
repos.

I'm now looking at releasing the next version but see that pljava has
been removed from the Debian repository primarily to 64 bit issues:

There is currently a pljava package for PG9.3 in the Ubuntu 14.04
repositories but once installed even on 32bit OS it fails to run with
the following error:
ERROR: could not load library "/usr/lib/postgresql/9.3/lib/pljava.so":
/usr/lib/postgresql/9.3/lib/pljava.so: undefined symbol: HeapTupleGetOid

So in summary, pljava won't work "out-of-the-box" on Ubuntu beyond 12.04
and with the end-of-life date rapidly approaching I'm beginning to panic
a bit!

Is anyone working on this? Are there substantial technical issues that
need solving or is it just a matter of the packaging? A PPA package for
32bit pljava PG9.3 would be great or even a roadmap as to when such a
package might be available!

Many thanks

Peter

--