Re: Issue upgrading from 9.5 to 13 with pg_upgrade: "connection to database failed: FATAL: database "template1" does not exist"

From: Jeremy Wilson <jwilson(at)clover(dot)co>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue upgrading from 9.5 to 13 with pg_upgrade: "connection to database failed: FATAL: database "template1" does not exist"
Date: 2020-11-13 16:18:14
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Nov 13, 2020, at 10:46 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Hmph. We know that 9.5 -> 13 pg_upgrade works in simple scenarios,
> because the buildfarm tests that every day. So there has to be
> something out of the ordinary about your setup. Any unusual
> extensions, pg_hba.conf configuration, etc?

We have postgis installed, here’s a list of most of the extensions:

master=# \dx
List of installed extensions
Name | Version | Schema | Description
--------------------+---------+------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------
btree_gin | 1.0 | public | support for indexing common datatypes in GIN
cube | 1.0 | public | data type for multidimensional cubes
dblink | 1.1 | public | connect to other PostgreSQL databases from within a database
earthdistance | 1.0 | public | calculate great-circle distances on the surface of the Earth
pageinspect | 1.3 | public | inspect the contents of database pages at a low level
pg_buffercache | 1.1 | public | examine the shared buffer cache
pg_stat_statements | 1.3 | public | track execution statistics of all SQL statements executed
pg_trgm | 1.1 | public | text similarity measurement and index searching based on trigrams
plpgsql | 1.0 | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
postgis | 3.0.2 | public | PostGIS geometry, geography, and raster spatial types and functions
postgis_raster | 3.0.2 | public | PostGIS raster types and functions
postgres_fdw | 1.0 | public | foreign-data wrapper for remote PostgreSQL servers
unaccent | 1.0 | public | text search dictionary that removes accents
(13 rows)

I did have to upgrade all the postgis from 2.2 to 3.0 which went smoothly.