Backup Method

From: "howardnews(at)selestial(dot)com" <howardnews(at)selestial(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Backup Method
Date: 2015-07-03 09:59:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I am reaching the point with my database backups where the backups are
taking too long, and starting to interfere with running of the system
during the day. So I am looking for a bit of sage advice as to how to
proceed.

For a typical server, I have a single database cluster with multiple
database that I backup nightly using sequential pg_dumps to NFS.

So what I am looking for is a backup regime with less impact that will
run overnight but faster or less impact than the pg_dump.

Would a file system backup be the better option in PITR format, or is
pg_dumpall more efficient than pg_dump?

Look forward to your advice.

Howard.