Re: nested loop semijoin estimates

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: nested loop semijoin estimates
Date: 2015-05-30 01:52:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/30/15 01:20, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> Notice the cost - it's way lover than the previous plan (9.2 vs
> ~111k), yet this plan was not chosen. So either the change broke
> something (e.g. by violating some optimizer assumption), or maybe
> there's a bug somewhere else ...

After a bit more investigation, what I think is happening here is
add_path() does not realize this is a SEMI join and a single tuple is
enough, and discards the simple indexscan path in favor of the bitmap
index scan as that seems cheaper when scanning everything.

So not really a bug, but maybe 'consider_startup' would help?

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com