Re: Change pg_cancel_*() to ignore current backend

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Change pg_cancel_*() to ignore current backend
Date: 2015-05-20 15:26:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/20/15 10:09 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> writes:
>> +1. I agree that cancelling/killing your own process should not be the
>> default behavior.
>
> I think backwards compatibility probably trumps that argument. I have
> no objection to providing a different call that behaves this way, but
> changing the behavior of existing applications will face a *much*
> higher barrier to acceptance. Especially since a real use-case for
> the current behavior was shown upthread, which means you can't argue
> that it's simply a bug.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the argument for the default behavior is
coming from a hacker viewpoint rather than a user viewpoint. I know
it's handy for testing but how many real-world scenarios are there?

I've recently jumped the fence after being strictly a user for sixteen
years so that's still my default perspective. I was definitely annoyed
when pg_stat_activity.pid changed in 9.2 but it was still the right
thing to do.

--
- David Steele
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net