Re: allowing extensions to control planner behavior

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allowing extensions to control planner behavior
Date: 2024-08-29 22:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This does not seem remarkably problematic to me, given Robert's
> proposal of a bitmask of allowed plan types per RelOptInfo.
> You just do something like
>
>         rel->allowed_plan_types = DESIRED_PLAN_TYPE;
>
> The names of the bits you aren't setting are irrelevant to you.

I don't see that in the code yet, so I assume you are referring to the
comment at [1]?

I still like my idea to generalize the pathkey infrastructure, and
Robert asked for other approaches to consider. It would allow us to
hold onto multiple paths for longer, similar to pathkeys, which might
offer some benefits or simplifications.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

[1]