Re: suggestion: psql configs in .config

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: suggestion: psql configs in .config
Date: 2020-06-11 21:55:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> would it be possible to allow psql config files to reside in ~/.config/psql
> to help unclutter ~ obviously this should be some kind of cascading lookup
> first look for... e.g
> .config/psql/psqlrc
> .psqlrc

I'm finding it hard to see a compelling reason why that would be an
improvement. It would make psql randomly different from 95% of the
other programs that have similar config files. Or, if everybody
somehow got on board with "let's put config files in ~/.config/",
then there'd be clutter in that directory ... and we're back to
square one.

Also, this is the kind of thing where version-to-version changes
in behavior will be REALLY user-unfriendly.