Terminology

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Terminology
Date: 2017-03-08 09:29:20
Lists: pgsql-docs

Within our documentation and related publications like presentations,
books, or training materials people do not use a consistent wording
concerning basic components or features of PostgreSQL. Different terms
rumours around for the same objective which is a confusing situation for
every beginner.

Therefore I suggest an additional chapter "Terms" after "Acronyms" to
establish exact definitions of all our basic terms. In the appendix you
find a first proposal. It reflects my understanding of the terms, my
personal favourites for deprecated terms, and in some cases new
definitions. If the community affirms the necessity of such a chapter,
we surely will have a lot of discussions about the range of terms and
their meaning. Therefore I actually use an easy editable format. After
we have defined this chapter, the documentation must be reviewed (over
time) to use exactly this notation.

Kind regards

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment Content-Type Size
Glossary.docx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document 13.6 KB
Glossary.pdf application/pdf 77.0 KB