Re: Group by range in hour of day

From: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: Israel Brewster <israel(at)ravnalaska(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Group by range in hour of day
Date: 2015-03-17 18:44:41
Lists: pgsql-general

>> Some weird edge cases to be careful about: activities that cross midnight.
>> Activities that last more than one full day,
>> e.g. start 3/15 and end 3/17.
> Right. And I will run into some of those (at least the crossing midnight),
> so I'll keep an eye out.

If you are running the report on more than one day at a time, I think
David Johnston is right that you want to convert from integers [0, 23]
to timestamps as soon as possible, possibly even just generate a series
of timestamps rather than integers right from the beginning. Also beware
of extract(hour from foo). Probably you want tsrange intersection as
your join condition rather than BETWEEN.

Paul