Temporarily suspend a user account?

From: Felipe Gasper <felipe(at)felipegasper(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Temporarily suspend a user account?
Date: 2015-02-06 20:57:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Is there a way to temporarily suspend a user account?

I would prefer not to revoke login privileges since that will break
things that mine pg_users and pg_shadow.

I also am trying to find something that is completely reversible, so
something like setting connection limit to 0, which would lose a
potentially customized connection limit, doesn’t work.

We do this in MySQL by reversing the password hash then running FLUSH
PRIVILEGES; however, that doesn’t seem to work in PostgreSQL/pg_authid
as some sort of cache prevents this from taking effect.

Has anyone else solved this issue? Thank you!

-Felipe Gasper
Houston, TX