Re: Catalog Bloat

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>, Jeff Amiel <jeff(dot)amiel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Catalog Bloat
Date: 2015-02-03 01:44:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/30/15 11:22 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
>> >Any suggestions on eliminating? Not sure if tools like pg_reorg are
>> >appropriate (or effective) or even vacuum full (yikes).
>> >I'd prefer not to take a complete outage - but I would if this bloat is
>> >really an issue.
> I don't know the parameters of the system that uses this DB, but you should
> be able to VACUUM FULL or REINDEX those tables pretty quickly.

Be careful if you're running an old version though... at one point
VACUUM FULL would actually make index bloat a lot worse because it
physically moved tuples in the same heap instead of rebuilding the heap
from scratch. If your index bloat is still bad you can REINDEX (at least
I think that's allowed on catalog tables).