Re: Replicating from 9.1.10 into 9.3.5

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Rob Cowell <rob(dot)cowell(at)transversal(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replicating from 9.1.10 into 9.3.5
Date: 2015-01-09 17:26:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 01/09/2015 09:17 AM, Rob Cowell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to set up replication from a 9.1.10 master to a 9.3.5 slave?
For streaming log-based replication the answer is no:
> FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 903, but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 937.
>
> Would I be better off dumping the data from 9.1.10 and re-importing into 9.3.5, then starting replication ?
> (or is there an easier way?) :)
There are lots of options. IIRC, Slony can be used for cross-version
replication. Pg_upgrade can be used instead of a dump and restore. Which
is easiest depends on your operational constraints.

Of all the methods, "old-reliable" is a dump and restore. Set up
replication after that. Be sure to use pg_dump from the *new* version to
take the dump from the old database. And if you are going through the
effort to upgrade, consider 9.4.0 at this point.

There is work to support statement-based replication which will probably
support replication-based upgrades in the future. But not from your version.

Cheers,
Steve