work copying over to closed servers and databases

From: Scott Robertson <stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: work copying over to closed servers and databases
Date: 2014-12-14 14:15:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

I use PgAdmin when I can't find the command in psql, such as creating
new servers and connecting to servers. I guess it's OK to have them both
open at the same time.

Here is today's main problem, and it's a big one.

I found that roles and tables I'd made for one database had gotten
copied to all the other servers, so I deleted the unwanted junk from
"PostgreSQL 9.3 (localhost:5432)", created a new server and a new
database, and added roles to it. I didn't add anything else to it, no
tables. Did nothing else.

Then I tried to open an older database and it was gone, along with its
17 tables, and instead, the new roles I'd just created in a different
server and different database had replicated themselves to this server.
I have four servers and the same thing happened to them all. They were
all disconnected (red x) while I was adding roles to my new server from
psql. Now I have four servers with identical roles that I did not put
there, and the only db I'd done any serious work on just disappeared.
The PgAdmin did crash once today.

Until today I had no problems with postgres, I've been using it to learn
on, as I am a complete novice.

Scott

--
stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com